Welcome to the Practitioner STEM Exchange
The STEM Exchange forms a key output of the work of The STEM Alliance. The Exchange is targeted at directly linking employers with further education providers and their tutor and teacher population.
In response to feedback from employers within the STEM related sectors the need to support the up-skilling of pedagogical staff has been identified as a priority. The aim is to provide this group with access to industry experts, materials and environments that will help them:
- Improve and update their own industry knowledge to support better transfer of learning
- Help to contextualise learning materials that are developed so they are relevant and have practical applications
- To see first-hand the changes in technology and trading environments that will affect their learners
- To better understand the overall needs of employers to help tailor their delivery
As an Education Provider – What can I expect from the site?
- The site concept was officially launched at the House of Lords in October 2014 and went live January 2015. Semta, the managing agent is tasked with driving up the volume of employers registered on the site. Our hope is that you will see a steady rise in the volume of employers registered and available to you. As an FE provider your support in growing the employer base is also critical.
- Once fully registered you will be able to search the site by geography or industrial area to identify local employers who may be able to support your CPD.
- Using the site itself you can contact the employer and register your interest in working with them on CPD opportunities – Please note, the site is not intended as a business development tool. It is for teaching staff only and any identified use of the site for prospecting activity may result in your organisation being removed from the register.
- Once you have expressed an interest in a particular employer the site will automatically generate a request to the designated contact. They will then be able to view your personal profile and assess their ability and availability to support your request.
- You will then receive a notification from the site telling you of the employer’s decision. Assuming they are still happy and are able to meet your needs, they will make direct contact with you for final arrangements. As such it is important that the details you provide are accurate and kept up to date.